How to install or uninstall an APK on Android [Exclusive Guide]
an APK Android what it is? We hear all about this type of file and yet it’s hard to understand well. You know, one of the strengths of Android is its application store called Google Play Store. You will find almost everything you need, but it sometimes happens that a particular app is not there, or that its release is planned for a later date. In this case, you can install an APK file. Come on, we explain you everything.
If you have the habit of using the Android system, you are probably accustomed to install applications downloaded on the Play Store , and uninstall them. But sometimes, it can be interesting to know how to install an application from my file, without going through a shop and make the manipulation manually.
It is, for example, if you want to take advantage of the latest updates to an application. Often the APK file to be available until the final update is downloadable on the Store. But beware, the APK file is not verified by teams of Google and we must therefore control its subject not to fall into some traps. We explain you everything.
An APK file, what is it?
Let’s start with the simplest: just did an APK file? Well it is neither more nor less than a file format, like jpg for an image or mp3 for music would be. This file contains the set of an application.
normally this file is distributed, stored on Google’s servers. It is available for download on the Store. But it can also be stored elsewhere, on other servers, and thus be downloaded directly by the user from a web site. It’s exactly as if you download an image.
Of course, go through the Play Store seems much easier and logical, and one wonders then the interest to manually install the application via the APK file. In reality, there are several big advantages in our opinion to do so:
- first of all, you are not obliged to stick to the Google Store Play. You can opt for very well provided alternative shops.
- For developers, it is a very simple way and very convenient to test an application that they just develop. They can thus meet the small bugs and improve it.
- Some applications require on the canvas and the apk file is often available on the internet even before to be updated on the Store.
- Some updates are also available on the Web before they are on the Store.
Overall, this allows to find independence from Google services. But everyone is free to do what he wants.
How to install an APK
to install an APK, handling is extremely simple. In principle, simply download the desired application and transfer it to my Android device. Therefore, you will not need an internet connection to install it.
warning: some sites offer infected APK files. It is very important to choose the web sites offering download APK files. Among the best-known and the most reliable, we recommend, for example, APK Mirror.
- First and foremost, to allow the unknown sources on your smartphone or tablet. Appointment so ‘Settings’ then ‘Security’
- check well the line ‘Unknown Sources’ if it is not already the case
- then download your apk file, either from the browser of your smartphone or tablet, or via your computer directly. You’ll have to transfer it to your device (in the ‘Applications’ for example, or even “Downloads” folder).
- We now need to navigate to the file to install it. To do this, you need a file Explorer. You a selection of the best here.
- Go to the folder where your file (me, it is the “Applications” folder)
- press the file of your application. It details the access application will have on your device. If it’s good for you, confirm by pressing “install”.
- after a few seconds of waiting, your application is installed on your smartphone or Tablet
- date so in the list of applications to be able to launch
that is, it was as simple as that, and a few images of this tutorial have been in evidence. Let’s look at the other party about the uninstallation of your applications.
uninstall an application and clean residual files
assume now that one of the applications installed via an APK file does not please. Or that she is unstable, that it shows bugs, or that need to make room in your internal memory. You’ll have to do a little housekeeping and uninstall one or more applications. Here’s how:
- ‘Settings’ and in first go “Applications” . You will find the complete list of your installed applications.
- Select in our example application Asphalt Nitro
- force stop
- delete data (and possibly ’empty the cache’ a little lower).