Hard drive full? «««To find out, what files the most disk space need
largest disk is too full. Here you read, how you find out easily which files take up the most disk space so that you can quickly create space.
to the quick discovery of the largest files are the standard Windows not well suitable. The harddisk for more subdirectories, search if is running out of free space will be even more laborious.
fast is with two free tools that we provide. While a list-like presentation offers TreeSize free , Sequoia for a graphical approach. There are all the files in a two-dimensional diagram represents as geometrically arranged squares, whose Größe corresponds with the size of the file.
to use Sequoia
- you get the program directly from the website of the author at the University of Eindhoven: http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/ .
- unpack you the downloaded archive file to any location.
- without further installation, you can directly start the tool by running the sequoia.exe file.
- by default, Sequoia starts my analysis in the current directory. Cancel the scan and enter in the field above the starting directory, you would have anylsiert, i.e. “C:” as shown in the image for the first disk of Windows.
- the program for all directories a colourful overview appears worked through.
- see only gray boxes, you must enable the point enable ColorScheme at view – colors .
- the colors denote always a specific type of file. All images have reddish tones, music files are pale green, executable files are yellow.
- the arrangement of squares is not accidental: Sequoia summarizes always files of path to units.
- want to know now is what file behind a large square, just drive it with the mouse and receives the full file path.
- in the status bar displays at the right, as percentage of the total capacity of the disk requires the selected file.
so in Sequoia, limits the view to directories a
Sequoia always together placed the files in a directory and surrounds them with a yellow border. Want to consider only this directory tree, then you right click on an any square within the yellow frame and select down one level .
then the display changes to: you see a smaller number of squares, and in the directory bar the path for your selection.
want to immediately investigate away only a specific directory from the start and interrupt the analysis, enter the desired path in the box above.
so quickly to the Explorer view for a particular file
with the right mouse button, click a file and select the option from the menu explore .
then launches the Windows Explorer with a new window and displays the directory in which the file at home is.
To analyze the space Eater with TreeSize free
- you get the program from the website of the manufacturer Jam software – the Setup-version or in the Portable Edition for use on a stick.
- after installation or unpacking the Portable Edition, you start the program. [
- click button select folder top left and choose a drive – around C:
- probably comes in a dialog that indicates that the tool in the normal mode can search all directories. You’ve come to the best always as administrator select start so that the problem no longer occurs.
- after the necessary restart of the program it starts with my analysis.
- is completed, get a list of directories at the top level of the drive.
- the list is sorted by the size of the contained files descending and you see in the column % visually, “is consumed as much place here”.
- a double-click on one of the entries open – such as in Windows Explorer – the underlying directories and also displays the use of disk space.