«««Festivals award letters for external hard drive and USB flash drive
drive letter change – so BB´s in Windows
- connect your hard disk or USB stick.
- with the right mouse button, click the Start button and select computer management or you type ‘Computer management’ in Windows search.
- , select the computer management the point data storage – disk management out.
- you will now see a list of the current drives and the associated letter.
- right click the line with the desired drive and select drive letter and path change .
- in the upcoming dialogue select again change and can choose then a new letter.
so the reason why same external disk or USB-stick sometimes new letters get assigned to avoid changing drive letter
: Windows uses when connecting a drive generally the next free letter. If you leave plugged in a USB stick for example and put your backup disk, it for guaranteed a different letter than last time without the stick. But, you can easily change this behavior using above method. You need to without even format hard drive.
best select a character far back in the alphabet, because here, the chance is very low, that the letter automatically assigned to disturbing effect. So, use letters as X:, Y: or Z: for the disks, which require fixed names.