Defragment hard drive in Windows
you want to defragment the hard disk? Then read our instructions and basic information.
hard drive defragment (Windows 8/10)
- in the search box, type defrag a. Defragment
- click on the site drives and optimize
- click on the drive that you want to defragment. Click optimize
Windows then optimizes the drive.
by the way Windows take care independently an optimization – by default, this happens once a week. You need which is not necessarily stimulate this process by hand, unless you have a major tidying behind him and immediately want to optimize.
hard drive defragment (Windows 7)
- open the start menu.
- type defrag in the search line.
- click on Disk Defragmenter in the search results.
- in the then öffnenenden window you select the drive, that you want to defragment. If you want to know first whether defragmentation is necessary at all, click on disk analyze .
- it to defragment just go, click Defragment on disk.
the program get started then with my work. Expect wait few minutes, you can continue working with the computer in the meantime.
If you want to stop the Disk Defragmenter, select the disk that is defragmented just with a mouse click and click on , stop .
hard drive defragment (Windows command line)
- press [Win – R] .
- you type cmd a and press on [Return] . Type in
- defrag c: , for example the C: drive to defragment.
more to defrag reveals defrag /? .
defragmentation programs to speed up the hard disk you put back together scattered files. It comes to these scattered files to:
with loads of time, save and delete many files. Now the one saves man, for example, two files, 10 KByte large (o), the other 5KByte (x). Schematically, it looks like this:
deleting the first file again, the 10 KByte are free (-). Behind it are still the five other KB:
now you save a file that is 13 KB long (*). She of course not completely for space on the vacant 10 Kbytes. Therefore it occupies the vacated 10 Kbytes and additional space behind the other 5 KB:
* xxxxx *
these operations are repeated constantly in your system. With time, you will have many such split files. Now, the problem is that the disk head literally together must pluck some files when he loads the file.
because only a defragmentation program helps. The tool merges files that belong together. Thus, the reading head of the hard drive can read faster this data in one go. Our example would look like after the defragmentation: